Sunday, March 25, 2012

Flexible Learning-Activity 2

Kia ora
Well I confess to having real issues with the idea of blogging in the beginning. I am quite a private person and the thought of having my opinions in a public forum had me feeling a little exposed.
I have also had computer issues (again) as my work computer kept locking on me. I think it is a cunning plan from Otago Polytechnic so that I can only work from my home laptop when putting up posts. LOL
Flexible Learning has really got me thinking about how I teach and how I want to teach.  The delivery of the content of each of my subjects involves collaboration and interaction with students in a face to face or adobe situation and I tend to go with the flow when getting my message across. The students I support are of a variety of different ages and backgrounds. All are interesting and have chosen to do our courses for many different reasons. I have always enjoyed engaging with my students and bringing in real life situations to emphasise particular points in the curriculum.
I have a new appreciation of flexible learning on a personal level. This course has allowed me the flexibility to begin learning at my own pace. Finding time to interact with my colleagues is not always easy due to part-time hours (mine) Block Course responsibilities, work commitments and family requirements. Cat and I were able to chat briefly about Activity two and reflect on some ideas as to how we should approach the various questions below. The learning choices we are offered with this course of face to face, discussions over coffee, and online, makes the challenge of flexible learning exciting and enjoyable. This has meant that I have found the necessity to take ownership and go for it!!
What does the term Flexible Learning mean to you?
Flexible learning gives us the choice of how, where and when learning occurs and with technology the way it is today, information on any subject is almost there at the touch of a button. This of course can be problematic as there is misinformation out there too.
However with flexibility comes ownership. Instead of having a set time and place to learn, flexibility gives us the opportunity to take control of our own learning at a time and place that suits our busy lives. That may not always suit everyone and is not always appropriate for all subjects. I teach Reception/Sales in a Veterinary Clinic and I am also involved in the practical surgical sessions for the student veterinary nurses.
Why is it necessary to use a more flexible approach in your work?
With so many options available to students, flexibility will encourage more people to take up the challenge of learning new skills. Flexibility with subjects also allows students to start with one or two papers and their success will encourage them to carry on. We have many distance students that are studying towards their Veterinary Nursing qualification. Many are balancing fulltime work and family commitments with the need to study. Flexibility for these students is vital to allow them to complete their qualification. If they miss an adobe interactive session, we always record it to enable the students to listen at a time that suits them.
Reading Ron’s blog and looking at his slide show made me think about how we deliver our course content. Coming from a generation that used solely text books and note writing, with pen and paper, I am fascinated at what technology has on offer today. The mobile phone and I-Pad with apps that can be down-loaded can make learning so much more interactive and offer opportunities to enhance the overall learning experience.
Current Otago Polytechnic policy requires the fulltime veterinary nursing students to attend 80% of face to face classes. While this takes away attendance flexibility, we are now aware that people learn in different ways. The VARK module emphasizes this and gives us a whole new appreciation that not everyone fits into a particular learning style. I feel it is really important to know our learners and the style they prefer to learn by.
What do you need to explore to help this happen?
Reading the Dimensions of flexibility (from Collis and Moonen,2004) made me realize that I am not as flexible as I had hoped with my subjects.
Time:  This is fairly well fixed for the fulltime students. The start and finish and assessment dates are pre- determined.
Content: I have particular topics I must cover to ensure a good understanding of the subjects. My delivery can be flexible as I use a number of activities to get the students involved and out of their chairs.
Entry requirements: This is also pre-determined and set in place for veterinary nursing students.
Instructional approach and resources: This is where I can explore more flexible options. My aim is to make my subjects interesting and interactive. I want to pass on my passion for excellent customer service to all my students.
Delivery and logistics:  Flexibility is possible here, although I must cover the content as required, I can encourage more learner centered learning here. The student could critique various scenarios in a reception/sales situation. Not necessarily just veterinary clinics.
What goals do you have for using Flexible Learning in your work?
I like the thought of giving the learner more choices and responsibilities rather than telling the student what to think. This allows myself as the instructor, to respond individually to each student and gives me the opportunity to use a wider range of material (Collis & Moonen, 2001).
My aim is to encourage and motivate students to search for their own answers. My role is then to check the quality of those answers and, enter into further discussion on the subject.



1 comment:

  1. A great post especially considering your 'shyness' in this environment. I can identify with feeling challenged to 'put yourself out there'. It took me some time to feel comfortable with discussing ideas in an open forum such as a blog. Now I love the transparency and the opportunities for interesting communications with a wider variety of people.

    Your point "flexibility gives us the opportunity to take control of our own learning at a time and place that suits our busy lives" is so true. You may be interested in this 2012 article called The relationship between flexible and self-regulated learning in open and distance universities.

    The authors discuss the connections between self-regulated learning and the dimensions of flexibility, including learning styles, and also flexibility of teacher contact, time management and content. Their research concluded that SR learning and flexibility are strongly connected.

    How do their ideas fit with the models used in your courses?

    ReplyDelete